Description

An admitted shoe geek waxes philosophical about running, triathlon, and life in general.
Comments welcome!


Sunday, March 20, 2011

Dream running

Today was something I've been awaiting for some time. I just didn't know it.

I've doing the majority of my running off road, But it's been more "off pavement" than real trails. Gravel roads more than trail. I'd love to cut some new trails in the land where I work.

Today my wife and I were helping with a mountain bike race at
Soaring Eagle Park in Sammamish, WA. Miles of trails with markers and maps at each point. After the first race went off, I did my run. Within a mile I was trotting along on a winding path of firm dirt, loam, occasional logs and mud. I ventured off the race course, taking in more of the park. At about the 3 mile point, I was just grinning as I flew along, amazed at how much I missed this kind of running from my long-ago days in high school cross country. True trails. Constantly compensating for the terrain. The term that popped into me head was "dream running".

I wore the Trail Gloves, and they performed perfectly.

There's a trail race there in a couple months. If I weren't already timing another race that day, I'd love to do it. It's definitely someplace I want to go back to, maybe when it dries up a little more. I can't wait. Now I know what I've been missing.

On another note, on the way back home we stopped at The Balanced Athlete, where I tried on the New Balance Minimus Road. I tried on two sizes, but it just didn't feel right. Maybe it because I'd been wearing the Trail Gloves all day, but I felt a LOT of pressure against my 5th metatarsal. Along with that, I could feel my toes being forced inward (little toe pushed toward the others). Yes, there's a lot of room in that forefoot, but it's all towards the inside. The last is too curved. And if I went up a half size to get that out of the way, the ball of my foot would have been off the midsole. So the Minimus line is a bust for me. Too bad. On to the Altra. Whenever they get to the store shelves (they're saying it'll only be a couple weeks).

No comments: